There may be changes to course offerings in your local area as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic. To obtain specific details about the availability of courses in your local area it is important you get in touch with your local Royal Life Saving STMO.
Royal Life Saving's First Aid training course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to administer first aid to a person in case of sudden illness or injury in a home, workplace or community setting until professional medical help arrives. Whether you are a parent, work colleague or simply a passerby, you may be able to save a life or minimise longer-term injuries by providing first aid.
Approximately 60% of injuries requiring first aid treatment occur in the home. The remaining 40% are roughly evenly shared between the workplace, farms and participating in sports.
Note the Royal Life Saving Society - Australia National Office is NOT a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). All nationally recognised training is delivered by Royal Life Saving State and Territory Member Organisations (STMOs). See the RTO and Enrolment Information section below.
This course will provide you with the ability to recognise basic signs and symptoms of various illnesses and injury and the knowledge and skills – through a range of practice scenarios - to provide appropriate treatment or assistance.
A First Aid training course and Statement of Attainment (HLTAID003 Provide first aid and HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation) is considered a prerequisite for employment across many industries and considered a mandatory requirement by the Aquatic and Recreation Industry in particular.
Delivery modes and course structure may vary depending on which Royal Life Saving STMO you enrol with. Courses may use a combination of face-to-face training, online learning and text-based pre-course learning.
To obtain specific details about the courses delivered at your local area it is important you get in contact with your local Royal Life Saving STMO.
First Aid Online
First Aid Online gives you the opportunity to attain your first aid qualification via a self-paced, flexible training program. It combines DVD and online interactions to deliver an engaging and essential lifestyle education course which provides excellent value for money and value for time.
Stages of First Aid Online
- Enrol in a First Aid Online Course
- Practice CPR with personal manikin and DVD.
- Attend a Practical Workshop.
There is no prior learning required for the full course. Update courses require a current First Aid certificate. It is recommended that candidates are 14 in the calendar year they attempt the course. Candidates must also be able to perform CPR on a adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor.
- Legal Aspects of First Aid
- Respiration and Circulation
- Victim Assessment
- Shock, Fainting and Anaphylaxis
- Breathing Emergencies (including asthma, choking, drowning, hyperventilation)
- Cardiac & Medical Conditions
- Traumatic Injury
- Overexposure to Heat and Cold
- Poisoning, Venomous Bites and Stings
- Workplace First Aid
- Slings and splints
- Micro session scenarios
Successful candidates will receive a:
- Royal Life Saving First Aid certificate (valid for 3 years – Resuscitation component valid for 12 months)
Statement of Attainment for Units of Competency from the HLT Health Training Package:
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Units may go towards the (SISSS00111) Pool Lifeguard Skill Set and/or the (SIS31015) Certificate III in Aquatics and Community Recreation from the SIS Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package.
RTO and Enrolment Information
To find a course closest to you, simply click on the ‘Find a Scheduled Course’ feature on the top right of the screen (desktop) or bottom of screen (for mobile devices).
Please note that the Royal Life Saving Society Australia National Office is NOT a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
All nationally recognised training, aligned to the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), is delivered by the RTOs that operate out of the Royal Life Saving State and Territory Member Organisations (STMOs) listed below.
If you are unsure about any aspect of your enrolment or course it is important that you get in contact with your local Royal Life Saving STMO.
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) - including Canberra metropolitan and surrounds
- Royal Life Saving Society ACT Branch
- Courses run by Royal Life Saving ACT are delivered through Royal Life Saving Society Australia - NSW (RTO 90666)
New South Wales (NSW) - including Sydney metropolitan and Illawarra, Hunter, Riverina, Northern and Western Regions
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia - NSW (RTO 90666)
· Northern Territory (NT) - including Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia – NT (RTO 0859)
· Queensland (QLD) - including Brisbane metropolitan, Far North and Regional Queensland
- Royal Life Saving Society QLD (RTO 5431)
· South Australia (SA) - including Adelaide metropolitan and regional areas
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia – South Australian Branch (RTO 0996)
· Tasmania (TAS) - including Hobart, Launceston and North West regions
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia – Tasmania Branch
- Courses run by Royal Life Saving Tasmania are delivered through Royal Life Saving Society Australia - NSW (RTO 90666)
· Victoria (VIC) - including Melbourne metropolitan and regional areas
- Life Saving Victoria (RTO 21799)
· Western Australia (WA) - including Perth metropolitan and regional areas
- Royal Life Saving Society Western Australia (RTO 0854)