5 Star Aquatic Facilities
When looking for a pool or aquatic facilty for either your self or on behalf of a school, Royal Life Saving encourages everyone in the ACT and NSW to seek out those swimming pools who display the 5 Star Water Safety Partner logo shown at right.
These swimming pools have all passed a rigorous 40 point aquatic safety check and demonstrate a strong commitment to aquatic safety standards.
The check list has been sourced from the Guidelines for Safe Pool Operation (GSPO), an established industry safety standard designed to maximise the safety of all aquatic facilities. The GSPO guides swimming pool operators on the safe operation of swimming facilities, outlining best practice standards and legislative requirments.
The Guidelines for Safe Pool Operation take a risk management approach to areas such as:
- General and technical operations of swimming pool
- First Aid
- Facility Design
- Swimming Programs
- Low Patronage Pools
5 Star Water Safety Partners commit to an annual Aquatic Facility Safety Assessment undertaken by Royal Life Saving.
Royal Life Saving’s 5 Star Water Safety Partner program is currently available in the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales. Swimming Pools that currently meet the 5 Star criteria are listed below.
- Active Leisure Centre, Erindale – expires August 2020
- Australian Institute of Sport, Bruce – expires March 2020
- Canberra International Sports and Aquatic Centre, Belconnen – expires December 2019
- Canberra Olympic Pool, Canberra City - expires December 2019
- Club Googong Swimming Pool, Googong - expires August 2019
- Dickson Aquatic Centre – Current - expires November 2019
- Lakeside Leisure Centre, Tuggeranong – expires December 2019
- Gungahlin Leisure Centre - expires May 2020
- Manuka Swimming Pool, Manuka – expires December 2019
- Big Splash Water Park, Jamison - expires December 2019