NT WATER SAFETY STRATEGY 2030
The Northern Territory Water Safety Strategy 2030 builds upon previous Water Safety Plans and Strategies.
The strategy aligns to the Australian Water Safety Strategy 2030 and is developed and reviewed by the NT Water Safety Advisory Council (NTWSAC).
The NTWSAC was established in 2002 as part of the Northern Territory Government’s 5 point Water Safety Plan.
One of the major requirements of the Council was to ‘develop and implement a Northern Territory Water Safety Plan that focuses on water safety education, research and data collection and standards.
This strategy is designed to build on work that has already been done, while continuing to minimise the rate of drowning, non-fatal drowning and water related injuries in the Northern Territory.
The following actions detail the development and review process:
- The NTWSAC discussed and reviewed the Australian Water Safety Strategy 2030 and the NT Water Safety Strategy 2023 on 6 December 2022, 1 February 2023 and 27 June 2023.
- The Minister endorsed the NT Water Safety Strategy 2030, for release in Water Safety Week September 2023.
The strategy aligns to the Australian Water Safety Strategy 2030 and is developed and reviewed by the NTWSAC
NT Water Safety Advisory Council (NTWSAC)
Members of the NTWSAC meet quarterly and report six monthly to review the current action plan that underpins the strategy. The minutes of the meetings and bi-annual reports are sent to the Minister for consideration.
The Chairperson will meet with the Minister as required or requested to ensure the highest standards of water safety are implemented in the Northern Territory.
The Chairperson is the designated spokesperson of the NTWSAC for media and community forums and will reinforce approved NTWSAC messages.
The strategy and action plan are reviewed as an ongoing continuous improvement model and updated versions are created as required and approved by the NTWSAC.
Members of the NT Water Safety Advisory Council
Member organisations are appointed to the NTWSAC as a Ministerial appointment and are governed by an approved Terms of Reference.
The Role of the NTWSAC is to:
- provide advice to the Minister for Sport on water safety related matters.
- identify gaps in existing provisions of water safety initiatives in relation to the services necessary for the prevention of drowning deaths and non-fatal drowning incidents in the Northern Territory.
- proactively develop and recommend solutions to emerging and ongoing issues.
- develop and implement a Northern Territory Water Safety Strategy that focuses on the drowning prevention pillars.
- Amateur Fisherman’s Association of the NT
- Department of Education
- NT HEALTH
- Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
- Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities (Sport & Recreation)
- Kidsafe NT
- Local Government Association of the NT
- Northern Territory Water Police
- Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security - Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory
- Royal Life Saving Society NT Branch
- Somerville Community Service
- Surf Life Saving NT
- Tourism NT
- Local Government Remote appointment
- Water Safety Unit administered by RLSSANT