NT Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021
The Northern Territory Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021 builds upon previous Water Safety Plans and Strategies.
The strategy aligns to the Australian Water Safety Strategy 2016-2020 and is developed and reviewed by the NT Water Safety Advisory Council (NTWSAC).
The NTWSAC was established in 2002 as part of the Northern Territory Government’s 5 point Water Safety Plan. One of the major requirements of the Council was to ‘develop and implement a Northern Territory Water Safety Plan that focuses on water safety education, research and data collection and standards.
This strategy is designed to build on work that has already been done, while continuing to minimise the rate of drowning, near drowning and water related injuries in the Northern Territory.
Members of the NTWSAC (NTWSAC) meet quarterly and report six monthly to review the current action plan that underpins the strategy. The minutes of the meetings and bi-annual reports are sent to the Minister for consideration. The Chairperson will meet with the Minister as required or requested to ensure the highest standards of water safety are implemented in the Northern Territory.
The Chairperson is the designated spokesperson of the NTWSAC for media and community forums and will reinforce approved NTWSAC messages.
The strategy and action plan are reviewed as an ongoing continuous improvement model and updated versions are created as required and approved by the NTWSAC during the four year cycle.
- Keep Watch
- Keep Watch Home Pool Safety
- Keep Watch Community Help Grants
State and Territory Activities
- ACT Jobs Board
- ACT Schools Program
- ACT Ministers Swim and Survive Certificate
- ACT Junior Lifeguard Club
- ACT Swim for Life Program
- ACT Ngadyung Program
- ACT First Aid @ Home
- NT Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021
- NT Water Safety Week 2018
- NT Sunday Lifesaving Program
- NT Sunday Infant Aquatics
- NT Water Safety Awareness Program
- NT VACSWIM and Swim and Survive Bootcamp Program
- Swim and Survive
- SWIM MY WAY
- Respect the River
- Don't Let Your Mates Drink and Drown
- The Talk - For Over 55s
- Changed Swimming Pool Laws - Be Pool Safe
- Bronze Medallion
- Grey Medallion
- Community Development