ACT Swim for Life Program
The Swim 4 Life holiday program provides equitable access opportunities for ACT children to participate in a variety of aquatic programs regardless of their background or financial situation. Over 600 participants, who may otherwise have missed out on basic water safety education, have been nominated by local community partners for inclusion in the Swim 4 Life program since it was first established in 2010. Swim 4 Life is funded through a combination of corporate sponsorships, private fee-for-service (for those able to pay), and government contributions. Royal Life Saving ACT is very proud of this community initiative and works closely with the children’s services sector in the ACT to ensure Swim 4 Life is accessible to all.
Swim 4 Life runs during the January, April and October school holidays in the ACT and is offered to children aged 4 to 12. Children participate in daily sessions that focus on developing vital swimming and water safety skills such as safe entries and exits, breath control, floating, sculling, survival and lifejacket skills, basic rescues and safe behaviours in a range of aquatic environments.
In 2016 as part of RLSSA’s ‘Respect the River’ initiative, supported by the Australian Government, the Swim 4 Life program was amended to include sessions that are delivered in open water environments. The aim of the outdoor session is to provide participants with a practical understanding of the risks associated with Canberra’s local lakes and rivers. Royal Life Saving ACT delivers these sessions in controlled environments including publicly accessible swimming areas at Pine Island and Lake Ginninderra. All Swim 4 Life instructors are experienced swim teachers who are qualified in both AUSTSWIM and RLSSA Resuscitation.
Swim 4 Life is currently supported by Royal Life Saving Society – Australia through the national Swim and Survive Fund, and the Inland Waterways Drowning Prevention Project funded by the Federal Government. There is no cost for participation or for pool entry. Attendance is completely free.
Participate and Enrol
Swim 4 Life is currently offered in three Canberra locations:
- Canberra Olympic Pool, City (including outdoor sessions at Lake Burley Griffin)
- Lakeside Leisure Centre, Tuggeranong (including outdoor sessions at Pine Island)
- Canberra International Sports and Aquatic Centre, Belconnen (including outdoor sessions at Lake Ginninderra)
The Swim 4 Life holiday program is hosted 3 times a year with sessions running for half an hour a day over 10 days. Participation is available for all children however, enrolments for children identified and nominated through Royal Life Saving ACT community partners such as Barnado’s and The Smith Family are prioritised.
For more information you are invited to contact Royal Life Saving ACT
Phone: 02 6260 5800
- Keep Watch
- Keep Watch Home Pool Safety
- Keep Watch Community Help Grants
State and Territory Activities
- ACT Jobs Board
- ACT Schools Program
- ACT Ministers Swim and Survive Certificate
- ACT Junior Lifeguard Club
- ACT Swim for Life Program
- ACT Ngadyung Program
- ACT First Aid @ Home
- NT Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021
- NT Water Safety Week 2018
- NT Sunday Lifesaving Program
- NT Infant Aquatics Program
- NT Water Safety Awareness Program
- NT VACSWIM and Swim and Survive Bootcamp Program
- Swim and Survive
- SWIM MY WAY
- Respect the River
- Don't Let Your Mates Drink and Drown
- The Talk - For Over 55s
- Make It Safe
- Changed Swimming Pool Laws - Be Pool Safe
- Bronze Medallion
- Grey Medallion
- Community Development