The Grey Medallion program is a water safety and lifesaving skills initiative for older adults. It aims to encourage a healthy, independent and active lifestyle through the development of essential skills in order to participate in aquatic recreation activities safely.
This practical program provides older adults with personal survival techniques, improved swimming skills, skills to deal with emergency situations and a thorough understanding of water safety knowledge in order to reduce the likelihood of drowning.
The Grey Medallion program has four main components:
- Water safety knowledge
- Resuscitation and emergency care
- Aquatic exercise
- Personal survival and lifesaving skills
The Grey Medallion program has been developed to be delivered in a flexible manner. The number of sessions and the modules selected may vary depending on the ability of participants and the aquatic venue. Programs may run over a series of weeks with attendance required on a once a week basis, or they may be conducted using a more intensive format.
There are numerous resources available to assist in the delivery of the program, enhance learning for participants as well as promotional materials to advertise. Some resources are also available in the following languages: Arabic, Italian, Greek, Chinese and Vietnamese. All participants receive a certificate of participation to recognise the sessions completed.
Aquatic centres interested in conducting the Grey Medallion program at their facility or interested persons wishing to participate in the program should complete the contact us form to receive more information.
- Keep Watch
- Keep Watch Home Pool Safety
- Keep Watch Community Help Grants
State and Territory Activities
- ACT Jobs Board
- ACT Schools Program
- ACT Ministers Swim and Survive Certificate
- ACT Junior Lifeguard Club
- ACT Swim for Life Program
- ACT Ngadyung Program
- ACT First Aid @ Home
- NT Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021
- NT Water Safety Week
- NT Sunday Lifesaving Program
- NT Infant Aquatics Program
- NT Water Safety Awareness Program
- NT VACSWIM and Swim and Survive Bootcamp Program
- National Swimming and Water Safety Framework
- Swim and Survive
- SWIM MY WAY
- Respect the River
- Don't Let Your Mates Drink and Drown
- The Talk - For Over 55s
- Make It Safe
- Changed Swimming Pool Laws - Be Pool Safe
- Bronze Medallion
- Grey Medallion
- Swim Ready
- Community Development