Building familiarity and confidence
Water awareness combines a range of strategies and activities designed to keep your child safe when in, on, or around water. These include water familiarisation, checking for and removing water hazards, setting rules around water and discussing water safety with your child.
Water awareness classes, such as Royal Life Saving’s Swim and Survive Wonder Program, focus on the gradual introduction of very basic skills for children aged 6 to 36 months like moving in the water, getting the face wet and blowing bubbles.
The next step is the Courage program which teaches water confidence to children aged 3 to 5 years.
From five years children are suitable for learn to swim classes. Here they will turn the basic skills taught in water awareness classes into recognisable strokes and develop the confidence to swim without being held by a parent or instructor.
But you can also use bath time as a time for water awareness. Let your baby or child feel, experience and play with water. Put rules in place for when they go near water and ensure parents and adults uphold these rules themselves to set a good example. When visiting new aquatic locations you can examine these together with your child and discuss any safety issues and rules for that location with your child.
- Keep Watch
- Keep Watch Home Pool Safety
- Keep Watch Community Help Grants
State and Territory Activities
- ACT Jobs Board
- ACT Schools Program
- ACT Ministers Swim and Survive Certificate
- ACT Junior Lifeguard Club
- ACT Swim for Life Program
- ACT Ngadyung Program
- ACT First Aid @ Home
- NT Water Safety Strategy 2017-2021
- NT Stay Out of Pipes and Drains
- Little Royals Swim School - NT Infant Aquatics Program
- NT Water Safety Awareness Program
- NT VACSWIM and Sunday Life Saving
- National Swimming and Water Safety Framework
- Swim and Survive
- SWIM MY WAY
- Make It Safe
- Make the Right Call
- Respect the River
- Risk of Cold Water
- The Talk - For Over 55s
- Changed Swimming Pool Laws - Be Pool Safe
- Bronze Medallion
- Grey Medallion
- Swim Ready
- Community Development