WHAT IS THE CULTURAL COMPETENCE PROGRAM ABOUT?
We need to act
Each year too many people from our diverse communities drown. Tragically, 79% of drownings from these communities were identified as poor or non-swimmers.
Many of our migrants and refugees have had limited contact with a public swimming pool or involvement in a formal swimming program. For many, the journey to a pool may be daunting. Preparedness of the aquatic industry will help deliver a positive experience at the pool … one which results in a fun, friendly and safe experience.
To bring about effective change we need to engage all cultures – we need an aquatic resilient community, one which possesses the relevant skills and knowledge to enjoy the water in a safe way.
The Cultural Competence Program assists those working in the aquatic industry to have an understanding of the needs of communities from other countries.
Benefits for all
To deliver a consistent and modern approach to cultural engagement, Royal Life Saving is providing the Cultural Competence Program to aquatic industry staff for FREE.
Completing the program will ensure individuals gain practical skills and culturally specific knowledge that they can apply in their workplace and everyday life.
Being a Culturally Qualified Centre can assist your aquatic facility to attract new markets as well as meet growing governance and community service obligations.
So, let’s get moving. Take advantage of this free program to provide a more inclusive and socially responsible environment. A place worth visiting, a place worth telling friends and family about, a place where everyone is welcome.
How to become a Culturally Qualified Centre
You can have a Culturally Qualified Centre now
- Go to learning.royallifesaving.com.au and click ‘Register’ to sign up for a new account.
- You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org containing a link to set up your password.
- Return to the ‘Login’ page as prompted, and login to your account.
- Click the ‘Browse Learning’ tab across the top of the page and then select the ‘Cultural Competence’ course.
- Select the green ‘Enrol’ option and then enter the ‘token code’ supplied to you by your course organiser.
- You can now ‘Launch’ your course.