Royal Life Saving's programs, products and services are underpinned by research and a commitment to continual improvement. From 2019-2020 research delivered:
We are building a nation of lifesavers that together help create communities free from drowning. We want to bring a love of swimming and water safety education to more people in the community, especially those who may not otherwise have the opportunity to participate. Further, foster pool lifesaving sport as vehicle for skills and leadership development.
Over 35 years of Swim and Survive
Royal Life Saving's Swim and Survive program ensures children all over Australia get the very best swimming and water safety education backed by over 125 years of experience in swimming and lifesaving, based on evidence-based research. More than 350,000 participants enrolled annually.
14,000 pool lifeguards trained annually
Australian lifeguards are world-renown for their high levels of skill and knowledge in accident prevention and rescue response. Royal Life Saving was the first organisation in Australia to start training pool lifeguards specifically and we have been doing this for over 30 years. Royal Life Saving received the top award for its Pool Lifeguard course at the 2020 International e-Learning Association awards.
Working across Australia in Inland Waterways, Royal Life Saving currently has projects operating in all Australian States and Territories. Key activities in the community include:
- Engaging with local stakeholders to develop drowning prevention strategies
- Delivering swimming and water safety programs in key communities
- Conducting risk assessments of river blackspots and developing a targeted action plan
- Participating in local events to educate the community
Organisational Cohesion and Growth
State and Territory Member Organisations identified some of their most important contributions to the community during 2019-2020:
- Keeping remote aboriginal community pools open during COVID-19 restrictions.
- Providing accessible and inclusive programs for the community.
- Partnering with educational institutions and industry bodies to support and deliver education, training and water safety services while overcoming and adapting to unique challenges.
- The overall impact - increasing swimming and water safety capabilities and making communities safer.
- Providing community benefit and services to people young and old across their State.